How to Buy Leather in Italy
Everything you need to know to come home with the souvenir of a lifetime
DO YOU WANT TO COME HOME FROM ITALY WITH A LEATHER JACKET, BAG, OR WALLET?
Italian cities overflow with leather goods synonymous with Made-in-Italy quality and style.
-How do you know if you're buying a high-quality, handmade item?
-How much to pay?
-And how do you know if you're being ripped off?
I'm Laura Morelli, and I'm here to help you.
For more than 20 years, I've been helping travelers come home with meaningful souvenirs in their suitcases.
I've taught college art history in the U.S. and Europe, and have written shopping guidebooks that help travelers locate authentic, high-quality goods.
Leather-shopping in Italy is one of my most frequently requested topics.
And the truth is, it's a complicated subject.
I put together this course to help you come home from Italy with a leather piece you'll enjoy for years to come. Read on...
"Laura is a great guide for first-time travelers and more experienced shoppers."
- National Italian-American Foundation
About this Course
This on-demand, 5-part video series takes you on a visual tour of the artisanal legacy of Italian leather, uncovering off-the-beaten-path destinations and one-of-a-kind, hidden workshops where everything from wallets to book covers are turned out completely by hand.
What You'll Learn:
- Why, after more than a millennium, Italian leather is still a living tradition
- How to discover authentic Italian leather artisans
- How to judge leather quality
- Questions to ask before you buy an Italian leather souvenir
With advice on how, what, and where to buy, and hints on recognizing quality and authenticity, this video series is the perfect introduction to bringing home the artisanal treasures of Italian leather.
You're in the right spot if you:
-Are on your way to Italy, for the first--or the upteenth--time
-Value authentic experiences when you travel abroad
-Have ever found yourself confused or overwhelmed by the vast number of choices when shopping in Italy, especially when it comes to leather
-Have ever asked yourself if you’re buying something authentic or worried if you’re being taken advantage of or even ripped off
"Laura Morelli guarantees that your souvenirs, whether Murano glass, maiolica ceramics, or marzipan fruits, will be of the utmost quality and value."
- Italian Cooking & Living
What You'll Learn in This Course:
- Why high-quality leather is synonymous with Made-in-Italy style
- What a typical leather shopping experience is like in Italy, and why yours will be different--and better
- How leather has been a part of everyday life in Italy since ancient times
- How it was used to make everything from military armor to books
- Why the making of leather was considered one of the most unsavory trades
- Why leather is such an extraordinarily complex topic, touching culture, history, fashion, economy, and the very core of Italian self-identity
- The three main tiers of today's Italian leather industry
- Current challenges for Italian leather-makers
- Pros and cons of buying luxury-branded leather goods
- How to locate authentic leather artisans
- How to discern a high-quality piece of leather
- How to read the label, and what the terminology means
- How to develop your senses to judge leather quality
- How to use insider knowledge to separate the treasures from the trash
- How to locate high-quality leather in boutiques, street markets, artisan workshops, factory outlet stores, and other venues
- Where you should NOT buy
- How much to pay, and how to know if you've paid too much
- How to avoid common scams
- How to ensure you'll go home with a piece you'll treasure years from now
Click the ENROLL button to ensure you come home from Italy with a treasure!
"Laura Morelli offers travelers a complete guide of what to buy where."
- Pat St. John, CNN Radio host
LAURA MORELLI holds a Ph.D. in art history from Yale University and is an award-winning, USA Today bestselling historical novelist. Laura has taught college students in the U.S. and in Italy. She has covered art and authentic travel for TED-Ed, National Geographic Traveler, Italy Magazine, CNN Radio, and other media. Laura is the author of the popular Authentic Arts guidebook series that includes MADE IN ITALY. Her historical novels, including THE NIGHT PORTRAIT and THE GONDOLA MAKER, bring the stories of art history to life. Learn more at lauramorelli.com.